Online Data Manager (ODM) and Mirroring on OpenServer® 6
The new, low cost Online Data Manager (ODM) and Mirroring add-ons for OpenServer 6 provide customers with the tools to easily manage and protect their business-critical data.
Two new, low cost add-on management tools for OpenServer 6 provide customers with the tools to easily manage and protect their business-critical data.
With Online Data Manager (ODM) and Mirroring UnXis customers are able to:
- Build low cost systems using off the shelf, inexpensive disk drives and reap the benefits of improved data management and integrity with OpenServer 6.
- Provide customers with the ability to create new and enhanced applications for UnXis’s new high performance application platform.
Both Online Data Manager (ODM) and Mirroring can be coupled with any standard disk system, including the new low cost Serial ATA (SATA) drives. Using these new tools with low cost disk systems will significantly lower the cost of installations that demand eas-to-use data management features and highly reliable data security.
Online Data Manager (ODM)
Online Data Manager for OpenServer 6 provides software RAID Levels 0, 1, 5, 10 as well as on-line disk performance analysis. It includes a graphical Visual Administrator for exceptional ease-of-use, and supports online filesystem resizing, migration, and RAID level modifications.
ODM is a cost-effective, enterprise-class storage management solution for high availability and online volume management.
ODM provides enterprise data management features such as online volume administration, online filesystem backup, improved synchronous write performance and further enhances filesystem I/O performance using enhanced I/O clustering.
I/O clustering is a technique of grouping multiple I/O operations together for improved performance. With ODM, large file access performance is comparable to that provided by raw disk. ODM also supports dynamic disk defragmentation and online filesystem resizing.
With ODM, the system administrator can visually identify ‘hot spots’, or high activity areas on disks. These can then be moved closer together to reduce disk seek times or moved to other disks to increase performance. It also features hot-relocation, the ability of a system to automatically react to I/O failures and restore redundancy and data access, thereby saving valuable time and money.
Business Critical Reliability
Online Data Manager is an enterprise-level storage management system for OpenServer. It consists of advanced versions of the Veritas File System (VxFS), Volume Manager and Volume Manager Visual Administrator (VxVA) that work together to provide RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 capabilities i.e. disk mirroring, striping and striping with parity.
It provides enterprise data management features that include online volume administration, online filesystem backup, improved synchronous write performance, support for even larger files (up to 2 terabytes), and further enhances filesystem I/O performance using enhanced I/O clustering. I/O clustering is a technique of grouping multiple I/O operations together for improved performance. When accessing large files, performance is comparable to that provided by raw disk.
The system enables dynamic disk defragmentation and online filesystem resizing. VxVA allows the administrator to visually identify ‘hot spots’, or high activity areas on disks. These can then be moved closer together to reduce disk seek times or moved to others disks to increase performance. It also features hot-relocation, the ability of a system to automatically react to I/O failures on redundant (mirrored or RAID-5) VxVM objects and restore redundancy and access to those objects. The Volume Manager detects I/O failures on VxVM objects and relocates the affected subdisks to disks designated as spare disks and/or free space within the disk group. The Volume Manager then reconstructs the VxVM objects that existed before the failure and makes them redundant and accessible again.
OpenServer Disk Mirroring
Customers who just need a software RAID 1 (i.e. disk mirroring) solution to enhance the availability of disk storage systems without any other RAID features, have the option of purchasing a Disk Mirroring license. Disk Mirroring provides increased data availability by providing fault tolerance against disk failures and faster access via simple disk mirroring. By adding a second disk to the system and enabling Disk Mirroring, administrators will automatically have access to their business-critical data should one disk fail.
Both ODM and Mirroring are designed to work with off-the-shelf disk storage subsystems, thus supporting these advanced data management features for very cost-effective, high-availability data storage solutions.
RAID Levels Explained
Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks, RAID solutions employ two or more drives in combination for fault tolerance and performance. RAID disk drives are used frequently on servers but aren't generally necessary for personal computers.
There are number of different RAID levels:
- Level 0 – Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance: Provides data striping (spreading out blocks of each file across multiple disk drives) but no redundancy. This improves performance but does not deliver fault tolerance. If one drive fails then all data in the array is lost.
- Level 1 – Mirroring and Duplexing: Provides disk mirroring. Level 1 provides twice the read transaction rate of single disks and the same write transaction rate as single disks.
- Level 5 – Block Interleaved Distributed Parity: Provides data striping at the byte level and also stripe error correction information. This results in excellent performance and good fault tolerance. Level 5 is one of the most popular implementations of RAID.
- Level 10 – A Stripe of Mirrors: Not one of the original RAID levels, multiple RAID 1 mirrors are created, and a RAID 0 stripe is created over these.
ODM and Mirroring requires Maintenance Pack 2 for OpenServer 6.
New Model Numbers
OpenServer 6 Online Data Manager License License Pack:
- Web License: LA215-UX00W-6.0
OpenServer 6 Disk Mirroring License
- License Pack: LA216-UX00-6.0
- Web License: LA216-UX00W-6.0
For Product and Sales Inquiries call 1-800-726-8649. For more information,contact your local UnXis sales representative, or:
- In the Americas, phone 1 (800) 726-6561
- In the rest of the world, phone +44 8700 994 992
UnXis’s award-winning Global Services offers a complete portfolio of worldwide support services on UnXis’s full range of software products. Services range from per operating system and layered product/platform to unlimited operating systems and add-on technologies, with technical and administrative account management. UnXis also offers local language support for all UnXis products.
For more information on support services, visit http:/www.sco.com/support or contact your local UnXis sales representative, or in the Americas phone (800)366-8649, in the rest of the world phone +44 9700 994 992
- Improve drive performance at a fraction of the cost of more expensive solutions
- Uses standard off-the-shelf disk storage systems including new low-cost SATA drives
- Includes a graphical Visual Administrator for exceptional ease-of use
- Supports online file system resizing, migrations, and RAID level modifications for high reliability