NEW OR IMPROVED FEATURES IN OPENSERVER 6
- Multi-core Processing. Multi-core processing is a key technology that helps servers complete multiple tasks using one integrated circuit or chip.
- Hot-Plug Memory Support. With OpenServer 6 you can add additional memory into the system without a system reboot.
- Fibre Channel-based SAN Support. OpenServer 6 comes with Fibrechannel-based SAN support for HP MSA 1000 systems. OpenServer 6 supports QLogic Fibre Channel 22xx/23xx controllers.
- VXFS Filesystem . High performance VXFS filesystem is journaled, ensuring data integrity in case of a hardware crash.
- Hardware RAID Support. OpenServer 6 will support the following RAID systems: Adaptec hardware RAID controllers, HP/Compaq RAID controllers, Intel Integrated RAID, LSI MegaRAID, and LSI Fusion-MPT RAID.
- DVD Backup Support. With OpenServer 6, businesses can utilize DVD backup systems, enabling faster and more cost effective backup of valuable data.
- Supports UnixWare® 7.1.4 Applications. With the SVR5 kernel technology embedded in OpenServer 6, UnixWare applications are fully supported.
- Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) for HP Proliant Products. SAS is the next generation of host controllers, and will replace slower parallel technologies, as well as control for the first time of both Serial ATA and Serial Attached SCSI hard drives.
- Native SATA. OpenServer 6 features full support for Intel's open Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification which includes features such as Native Command Queuing and Hot-Plug support.
- Xinuos's Assessment and Migration Services. Specifically designed for OpenServer 6, these services enable customers to make the most efficient use of their IT staff. These options will also be found beneficial in implementing OpenServer solutions that optimize productivity by leveraging the new and greatly improved features of the operating system.
- Multi-Threaded Kernel. By incorporating SVR5 technology into OpenServer 6, this kernel now has support for more modern applications.
- Large File Support. OpenServer 6 includes large file support (up to 1 Terabyte) that enables it to drive more modern and powerful applications.
- Multi Processor Support. OpenServer 6 has increased multiprocessor support from 4 to 32 processors, taking advantage of the power of more modern and up-to-date hardware. SVR5 is a hardened kernel that runs on low cost, industry standard servers and is capable of near-linear scaling as resources are added to the system
- Intel and AMD Multi-Core CPUS. OpenServer 6 now supports both Intel and AMD multi-core CPUs.
- Increased Memory Support. Memory support increases from 4 GB to 64 GB in OpenServer 6. This enables the product to run and support more powerful applications and hardware.
- Speed and Performance. The SVR5 kernel enhancements in OpenServer 6 have produced significant improvements in speed and performance. Some OpenServer applications are reporting a 1000% speed improvement with OpenServer 6.
- Improved support for Async I/0. Asynchronous input/output enables even a single application thread to overlap disk read/write operations with other processing thereby allowing useful work to be done while input/output is occurring in the background.
- Dynamic Loadable Drivers. Drivers can be loaded or unloaded on a running system with no reboot required. This allows hotplug of new peripherals such as a tape drive.