MergePRO provides a hosted environment for the Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system to enable customers to run windows applications on SCO OpenServer 6 or UnixWare 7.1.4 inside of an X-Window.
MergePRO Desktop runs Windows 2000/XP applications in a full windows environment. This next generation product is the perfect solution for the enterprise, technical workstation, or home SCO UNIX user. MergePRO is the perfect solution for server consolidation. By combining UNIX and Windows functions onto a single computer system hardware costs are greatly reduced.
- Runs Windows 2000/XP Applications and Desktop on UNIX at near-native speeds
- Provides productivity enhancing Windows malware resistance through "renewable" Windows architecture. Full support for audio playback and recording requires no patches to the UNIX kernel. Support for AMD and Intel 64-bit hosts.
- Allows re-use of your existing Windows license for both cost-savings and broad application compatibility
- Full integration between the UNIX and Windows filesystems for user documents and settings
- Comes bundled with the 4Front Open Sound System TM v4.0
Organizations wishing to upgrade or migrate to SCO UNIX need wait no longer because they can now run those Windows legacy business applications that until now have prevented them from moving forward.
- MergePRO Desktop runs as a well-behaved UNIX process sharing UNIX memory and file system without being controlled by the Windows guest operating system.
- Because of the highly stable SCO UNIX architecture, Servers and workstations are not susceptible to Windows viruses and other issues.
- A system failure or security flaw in Windows is now limited to only the virtual sandbox. Windows malfunctions are now insulated from causing system-wide failures.
- MergePRO allows you to run your favorite Windows applications on the SCO UNIX operating system in Windows 2000/XP. This allows you to take advantage of the secure SCO UNIX environment and still continue to use your Windows applications.
- The stability, security, and administrative capabilities of SCO UNIX are now partnered with the vast number of Windows applications on which you have come to depend allowing you to have the best of both worlds.
Additional System Requirements & Limitations
Windows License Requirements
Licenses for Windows XP or Windows 2000 are required for use with this product.
Operating System Requirements
MergePRO on UnixWare 7.1.4 depends on the prior installation of MP3 and ptf9052e or later. For OpenServer 6, MP2 and OSS706B (to be released) are required.
Computer System Requirements
MergePRO requires additional memory from the standards recommended for UnixWare 7.1.4 and OpenServer 6 products. The following information represents resources that optimize MergePRO performance.
MergePRO should never be configured to use more than 1/3 of physical RAM.
- Optimum physical RAM for MergePRO depends on the application – 256MB will be best for most applications and 512MB for large memory using applications.
- Minimum physical RAM for MergePro – 64MB for Win 2000 and 128MB for XP
- CPU Minimums – Current generation processors - 3GHz Pentium 4 or AMD equiv and above. For multimedia applications, higher speed or multi processor/dual core systems are required.
- Graphics - Video that uses a native accelerated driver is preferred over VESA mode
- Full Screen video is not supported for this release
- Streaming video and (or) audio is not supported by this release
- The 4Front s ound drivers are expected to be generally available for UW7.1.4, and OSR 6, in December. These drivers will be available for download on the SCO web site.
SCO is now accepting orders for the MergePro Desktop. The required software and associated documentation for UnixWare 7.1.4 is now available for download from the following sites.
From the UnixWare 7.1.4 Download Page at:
http://www.sco.com/support/update/download/release.php?rid=212 or via FTP at: ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/unixware7/714/other/mergepro_6.0
For OpenServer 6, the required software is expected to be available by early December from the SCO Download Page at: http://www.sco.com/support/update/download/release.php?rid=211 or via FTP at: ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver6/600/other/mergepro.6.0
OpenServer 6 and UnixWare 7.1.4 Media Kits will be updated to include this new Optional Services Product in December.
UNIX and UnixWare, used under an exclusive license, are registered trademarks of The Open Group in the United States and other countries.